Updated 11/13/2012 08:42 PM
Natural gas blamed for apartment explosion
ALFRED, N.Y. — Police say they now know what caused an explosion in an apartment building that injured two people and left more than 30 others homeless.
The blast happened Sunday evening at the Rose Apartment complex in the village of Alfred.
Allegany County Fire Coordinator Jeff Luckey confirmed to YNN that a natural gas leak caused the explosion. Luckey said the leak was accidental and it started outside, migrating inside.
He says a fence was being put up on the property and a wooden stake hit the gas line.